Compliance with the 2013 edition of Part L may require that much lower values of air permeability are needed compared with previous versions. Although the upper permissible limit for air permeability remains at 10 m3/m2.hr, designers are finding it increasingly difficult to meet the energy performance requirements of the SAP or SBEM calculation with the design air permeability this high.
It is usually far more efficient and cost effective to build to lower air permeability targets than it is to install extensive renewable energy systems.
Apex has developed a training programme to help all those involved in the construction process – from client to architect to trades – achieve the low air permeability design in practice. Please contact us for details.
Recent projects include:
- Byker wall refurbishment, Newcastle upon Tyne, Wates Living Space
- Ninewells Hospital extension, Dundee, ISG plc
- Premier Inn, Newgate St, Newcastle upon Tyne, Interserve Construction
- Learning Disability Centre, Northgate Hospital, Morpeth, Laing O’Rourke
- Foundry Lane, Newcastle upon Tyne, Byker Housing Association
- Larchfield, Hemlington, T Manners & Sons
- Redevelopment of Kensington and Park Terraces, Newcastle upon Tyne, Kier Construction
- Maplewood School, Sunderland, Robertson Construction